Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Knowing what to do following an accident is important for accuracy, but the chaos and shock of the accident can often take over, making it difficult to gather important information. With that in mind, I have put together a list of steps to take after an accident.
- Inform your insurance company of the accident
- Keep track of your medical treatment
- Get a property damage evaluation
- Do not openly discuss the accident with anyone other than close friends/family
- Do not take or discuss any settlement without speaking with an experienced car accident attorney.
Insurance companies often seek early settlements in an attempt to avoid higher payouts. This is why it’s important to contact an attorney early in your case to protect yourself against manipulative parties.
Determining who is at fault.
Liability is sometimes slapped on like a sticker in order to name the other party liable and the insurance company's customer the victim. While this may be true in certain scenarios, a thorough investigation is necessary to properly establish fault. Because a thorough investigation is not always conducted, it’s important you discuss this with an experienced auto accident attorney.
In certain circumstances, the manufacturer of the vehicle may be considered the at-fault party. To prove this claim you will need evidence that:
- A defect of the car contributed to the accident
- The car was being used as intended when the accident occurred
If you believe the accident was caused by a defect, your claim could be extremely difficult to prove. That's why you'll need an experienced auto accident attorney to pursue a settlement.
No matter the circumstances of your auto accident, I have the knowledge and skills needed to pursue the best outcome for your case. I will work with you to determine the best strategy and to set goals. If you’ve been in an auto accident, don’t wait. Call my office today and put my expertise to work for you.